Monday 12 December 2011

Habs eat, sleep, and poop too!

Seeing any Habs players in public can be very exciting for a lot of fans.
I haven't spoken to any of them, so I am speaking as someone who has seen them in public, and is thinking - "man, that must get annoying".

Recently, I was at a restaurant for a birthday party and a group of 5 Habs players walked in. They had some women with them. (Wives/Girlfriends/friends, no idea. not going to speculate). There happened to be multiple birthdays going on at the restaurant that evening (including one of the females in the Habs' group). When cakes were brought out to each table one by one people would sing "Happy Birthday" and by the 2nd or 3rd table most everyone - including the Habs' table - were singing along. It was very cute.

That was all fine and dandy, until people started getting up and going over to the Habs' table and asking them to take photos. The players were nice enough to oblige, but restaurant management stepped in and put an end to it.

I didn't get up from my seat. I was actually annoyed on their behalf. I understand they are celebrities in this town, and I understand people are excited, but have some common etiquette. They are out with friends, I am sure they don't want to be bothered while they are eating. They know that your eyes are following them as they cross the room to go to the washroom. (Yes, they are human beings, they too have to take a whiz every now and again).

After the bill is paid, if they are getting up to leave it's completely appropriate to shake their hand, tell them they had a good game, or ask for a picture - but at a dinner table, in the washroom, during a movie - leave them alone, the same way you'd like to be left alone. Wait for the right time, and I am sure they will be more than happy to oblige a short request. Have bad timing, and the story you tell forever is likely to be about how "Player A" was a jerk.


No comments:

Post a Comment